It doesn’t matter which side of Japan or Bulgaria comes first in the procedure for marrying a Bulgarian.
Now, let me show you the procedure for marrying a Bulgarian.
When the marriage procedure is carried out first from the Bulgarian side
1. It is established by making an oath of marriage in front of the marriage registrar together on the day of marriage.
At that time, the documents that Japanese people should prepare are generally as follows.
* For details, please check directly with the Municipality where the marriage procedure is carried out.
(Depending on the government office, it may be necessary for the parties to make a reservation together one month in advance, so be careful.)
<< Required documents for Japanese people >>
1 Marriage requirement certificate
<Japan in Bulgaria When obtaining at the embassy>
Toapply for a certificate of fulfillment of marriage requirements, Japanese people must go directly to the embassy with the following documents (proxy application is not allowed).
- One copy of family register (issued within 3 months)
- “Family Status” of the other party
* “Family Status” is like an identity register in Bulgaria, and contains identity-related facts such as name, ID number, personal number, address, whether married or unmarried, and whether or not you are divorced. It is issued by the government office that has jurisdiction over the address listed on the carta (ID card).
In fact, when submitting a certificate of fulfillment of marriage requirements to the government office, this certificate must be certified by the Bulgarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
* The delivery period is usually about 3 days. Early issuance (express: within 4 hours, first: next day) is possible, but the fee will be higher than usual.
* For details, please check with the Bulgarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
<When acquiring in Japan>
The certificate of fulfillment of marriage requirements can be wiped out from the Legal Affairs Bureau that has jurisdiction over the registered domicile office or address even in Japan.
The documents that are generally required for application are as follows.
* For details, please check with the registered domicile office or the Legal Affairs Bureau.
- Family register copy
- Certificate of fulfillment of marriage requirements for the other party (with Japanese translation)
In addition, if you obtain a certificate of fulfillment of marriage requirements in Japan, you will need to be certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan (Apostille certificate) and a Bulgarian translation, so please be careful.
2 One copy of the family register (certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan (Apostille certification))
3 Health certificate (Health certificate (including HIV test) is carried out by the medical institution designated by each government office)
* If you have been married in the past, you may need a “divorce certificate” or a “death certificate” if you were a spouse.
2. Report of marriage to Japan
Just getting married on the Bulgarian side does not reflect the fact that you were married on the Japanese family register. If it is not reflected in the family register, it will be “single” under Japanese law.
In order to record the fact of marriage in the family register, you must submit a marriage registration to Japan within 3 months from the date of marriage.
You can submit this marriage registration to the Embassy of Japan in Bulgaria, or you can submit it directly to the Japanese government office.
When the marriage procedure is carried out first from the Japanese side
1. Marriage in the Japanese method will be established when the marriage registration is notified to the municipal office in Japan and accepted.
* In Bulgaria, marriage registration between Japanese and Bulgarian people cannot be submitted to the Embassy of Japan in Bulgaria.
The following are the general documents required to file a marriage registration with a Japanese municipal office.
* For details, please check with the office of the notification destination as it may differ slightly depending on the municipality.
1 Marriage registration
2 A copy of the family register of the Japanese person
3 Family Status Certificate for Contracting Marriage to a Foreign National in a Foreign Country (with Japanese translation)
Check with the Bulgarian embassy in Japan to see if you can get a certificate of fulfillment of marriage requirements and what documents you need.
Generally, the other party’s “Family Status” is required.
However, the procedure changes frequently in Bulgaria, so be sure to check with the Bulgarian embassy in Japan before proceeding with the procedure.
Also, if you cannot obtain a certificate of fulfillment of marriage requirements at the Bulgarian embassy in Japan, please check if the embassy can issue a substitute for the certificate of fulfillment of marriage requirements.
4 Documents certifying the nationality of the other party (birth certificate) (with Japanese translation)
2.Report of marriage to Bulgaria
Go to the Bulgarian embassy in Japan and carry out the marriage procedure on the Bulgarian side.
We will prepare a copy of the family register with the marriage registration certificate obtained in the marriage procedure on the Japanese side and the spouse’s description at a later date, and carry out the procedure at the Bulgarian embassy.
* Please check with the Bulgarian Embassy in Japan for the details of the required documents.
Our office can assist you in the process of international marriage with a Bulgarian.Please feel free to contact us.