It doesn’t matter whether you go to Japan or Russia first to get married to a Russian.
* Required documents vary depending on the government office to which you are submitting, so be sure to check in advance!
◆ When proceeding first in Russia
1. attestation of the certificate of legal capacity to marry
A Japanese certificate of legal capacity to marry is prepared and certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
It is then translated and certified by the Russian Embassy in Tokyo.
2. Registering the marriage in Russia
After 30 days, you and your spouse will go back to the registry office of the Russian Federation (Zaks), where your marriage will be registered. After the formalities are completed, you will be issued with a “Marriage Contract”.
It is also advisable to obtain a Russian “birth certificate”, as this will be required for the procedure in Japan.
The procedure and documents required for marriage application differ from one Zaks to another, so please make sure you check in advance!
3. Registration of marriage in Japan
Within three months after the registration of the marriage, the couple should register their marriage at the Japanese diplomatic mission in Russia or at the municipal office in Japan.
- Marriage contract (Japanese translation required)
- Russian birth certificate (Japanese translation required)
- Other documents designated by diplomatic missions and government offices
◆ If you want to complete the procedure first in Japan
1. Obtaining a birth certificate
Obtain a Russian birth certificate in your home country.
You will need to obtain an apostille from the family registration office (Zaks) of your place of residence.
From this point on, the procedure in Japan is the same.
2. Obtaining a certificate of legal capacity to marry
You can obtain a certificate of legal capacity to marry at the Russian Embassy in Tokyo. It takes about one week to obtain the certificate.
Required documents for Russian nationals
- Foreign passport
- Passport for domestic use
3. Notification of marriage in Japan
You can register your marriage at the municipal office of your place of residence or domicile.
The required documents differ depending on the municipal office, so please make sure to check in advance!
- Certificate of legal capacity to marry (Japanese translation required)
- Russian citizen’s birth certificate (original and copy, Japanese translation required)
After your marriage registration has been accepted, a certificate of acceptance of your marriage registration will be issued.
4. Notification of Marriage to Russia
You can register your marriage at the Consular Section of the Russian Embassy in Tokyo and make a certification on the back of the certificate.
5. Registration of the marriage in Russia
The Russian translation of the marriage certificate is certified at the Russian Embassy in Tokyo, and the marriage is registered in the Russian Zaks, which has jurisdiction over the place of residence.
The Russian Embassy in Japan will certify the Russian translation of the marriage certificate.